Cloth diapering and natural parenting - follow me as I try out new products and new to me products for my children and myself!

Friday, February 20, 2009

Hippy Magic - The Amber Teething Necklace

It all started like this - diaperswappers moms were getting amber teething necklaces and raving about the benefits.
First thought? You want me to let my child chew on amber? Seriously? You're kidding, right?

Nope, I had it wrong. They don't chew it :) They just wear it. The amber against the skin is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties and ease some minor pain.
Right, because THAT sounds realistic.

Anyway, they're really cute necklaces. My friend bought them for everyone in her family. I started to covet the amber teething necklaces. But alas, NOT I will not spend $20 on pretties that might not work and that I don't believe WILL work.

Then, by the grace of my spending habit, I found it! A light colored amber necklace that would fit S with room to grow for $9ppd. I tried to resist the urge....but it was useless. Hippy magic got the best of me.

Anyway, I bought a lot that week (I am weak!!!) and totally forgot about it. When it came in the mail, I was caught off guard. Then I was excited :) I put it on S immediately - she looked so precious!

she promptly fell asleep. I should mention she's is cutting teeth right now - two are poking through the gums and she's been a mean little child.

So when she passed out within 3 minutes I thought, no..it can't be...hippy magic doesn't work!!! I did a lot of research on these puppies and I couldn't find any conclusive evidence that it DID in fact work.
I took it for a fluke


Until....

It happened again. I took the necklace off her for night because I just knew she'd hang herself somehow and I had the standard sleep problems that I'm used to with S - she does NOT like to sleep alone and will wake up every 30 minutes if there isn't a warm body with her.

I put it back on her today before we went to run errands and my crabby baby turned into an angel in an hour. She even went to sleep without screaming like she was being stabbed!

I think I'm a believer in hippy magic.

Now I want one with multi-colored amber on it, ya know...for research.

2 comments:

  1. This post cracked me up - because I said the exact same thing...all the way down to the wanting another; for research purposes of course. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I want one too. For Ez of course, hehe. I want a dark cherry colored one for him and a multi colored for uhm someone else, lol. Both for research of course.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a single mom with two great kids, 5 year old C and 9 month old S. I love being a mother and I take a lot of pride in the way I raise and take care of my kids.